Many of our students may have been pushed in a manual wheelchair for most of their lives. Our aim is that every young person can be as independent and mobile as possible. With the right help and support, powered wheelchairs can give students the potential to go where they want, when they want. Recognising the importance of this, we have established the Independent Mobility Project, IMPact, which awards grants to our students to help them purchase electric wheelchairs and mobility aids.
The NHS provides wheelchairs but these are not always the most appropriate one and are not always provided in a timely fashion either. The cost of an electric wheelchair ranges from between £5,000 and £20,000. In order to support our students to achieve independence and be provided with the right wheelchair for their individual needs, IMPact:
- Provides grants of between £500-£3,000 to help students buy the correct wheelchair
- Supports and assesses young people whose mobility needs have or are changing
- Funds electronic technology to link the wheelchair, PC and communication aid controls, so that young people with limited movement can carry out all these functions using one control
- Advises students and their parents on how to find the rest of the money they need
- Works closely with other charities and local authorities which provide mobility aid funding.
You can make a real difference by making a donation or raising money on our behalf – please see the Get Involved section of our website, call us on 01420 547 477 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.