Key Stage 1 & Key Stage 2
Primary special needs education
We cater for students from the age of five to eleven in our primary classes and provide three main streams of primary education. These are the Key Stage One and Key Stage Two Integrated Group which cater for our more complex students, and the Primary to Secondary Transition Group which caters for those students working to a successful transition into our Secondary provision.
"Students make huge strides in their development at this school. They are nutured to develop to their full potential and become valued and loved members of their community". OFSTED report, 2017
Key Stage 1
Treloar's provision at Key Stage One caters for pupils working between P1i and P8 and early curricular levels, and has an overarching offer to meet the needs of our youngest students. It will:
- Develop the fundamental skills of communication, literacy and numeracy
- Integrate therapy into the school day
- Provide a rich and varied context for developing eg. observing, interpreting, predicting and engaging
- Promote positive attitudes to school and learning
- Provide opportunities to learn in a practical and kinaesthetic way
- Provide opportuntiies for developing movement and manipulative skills and maintain postural needs
- Provide opportunities to develop knowledge, understanding and skills through play and thematic learning
Key Stage 2 Integrated Curriculum
The Key Stage Two integrated curriculum class caters for students working between P1-8 of the National Curriculum. In order to provide a broad and balanced curriculum, the EQUALS Schemes of Work for Key Stage Two are used as a foundation. Work is planned by termly topics and is cross-curricular in its implementation.
Primary to Secondary transition
This class aims at accepting primary level students into Treloar's, assessing and enabling their full access to the National Curriculum, working with them on their emotional and social confidence and preparing their way towards Key Stage Three studies. This is often a student's first class in Treloar's and the tutor works individually with each student to ensure a successful transition.
Students will study:
Maths, English, literacy, science, history, geography, design & technology, ICT, food technology, art, music, PSE, citizenship, religious education and PE.