Treloar’s Transport Fleet
The overwhelming majority of our children and young people -98%- are totally reliant on wheelchairs for mobility and many of our students have such limited mobility that they require a powered wheelchair. Not only are our students therefore dependent on their wheelchairs in order to be able to get around, they are also reliant on Treloar’s minibuses every time they leave the campus.
Having specially adapted vehicles at our disposal is absolutely essential for all of our 170 students, when disabled access on public transport is often inconsistent or inadequate. Examples of how our transport fleet is used include:
- Daily trips to three local Colleges – where our older students go to pursue a broader range of A level subjects.
- Regular journeys for specialist medical appointments – as our students’ complex health needs cannot always be met by staff at our onsite Health
- Weekly Occupational Therapy Community Skills outings – to Alton, Farnham, Basingstoke and further afield to practice independence and life skills.
- Weekly journeys to local businesses for work experience placements – which allow our young people to gain vital skills to prepare them for life after Treloar’s.
- Weekly trips for extra curricular activities – allowing our students to pursue their sporting ambitions or purely socialise with their friends and visit the local cinema or shopping
On average, each of our seven vehicles will make 480 trips per academic year.
The adaptations that are necessary to each minibus mean that they cost around £75,000 to purchase new and the cost of this is covered entirely by donations. In 2018 we were very excited to welcome our new coach into the fleet, thanks to donations and the generosity of the Worshipful Company of Chartered Surveyors who contributed £115,000 towards the £275,000 total cost. The Mansion House Gala dinner raised enough money to fully fund a new minibus which replaced one of our aging buses.
You can read more about our fleet in the article below.