Equality and Diversity
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
Treloar’s is committed to eliminating discrimination and celebrates equality and diversity among our students and our workforce. We believe in the uniqueness and value of each individual and provide opportunities for people of all abilities to achieve their potential.
We celebrate diversity amongst our students, staff and visitors and recognise the contribution that individuals with a wide range of backgrounds and experiences can make to the life of Treloar’s.
The Trust is an equal opportunities employer. The aim of our policy is to ensure that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment as a consequence of their age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or philosophical belief, sex or sexual orientation, responsibility for dependants, employment status, trade union membership or social and economic status. Selection criteria and procedures are intended to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and in all other ways treated on the basis of their relevant merits and abilities.
General Equality Duty
Treloar’s values have been set in recognition of the general equality duty. We are committed to the following objectives, in order to:
- Eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
- Advance equality of opportunity between persons who share a protected characteristic and persons who do not share it.
- Foster good relations between persons who share a protected characteristic and persons who do not share it.
Our Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) priorities 2023, linked to the Strategic Plan EDI Objectives
- Carry out a full Equality, Diversity and Inclusion review and produce a comprehensive data report, showing trend information for all aspects outlined in our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy. This exercise will allow us to sense check our EDI journey to date and identify our next steps. (EDI 1,2,3,4, 5)
- Organise three student-led events which promote the advancement of equality between people from different backgrounds. (EDI1)
- Every department to use our external contacts across the organisation to promote work experience opportunities for our students. (EDI5)
- Enhance manager awareness of the advantages and processes involved in job carving, including the range of external support available to us as the employer and the potential new disabled member of staff.(EDI4)
- Review the staff welcome and induction programme including re-establishing our staff buddy system. Ensure these programmes are sufficiently differentiated for groups of staff with different needs, to fully embed a culture of inclusion and sense of belonging. (EDI4)
- Identify five young people who meet our criteria for additional support, and provide additional advice/guidance and full support around the steps required as part of the SENCOP throughout the admissions/EHCP appeal process to enable them to successfully secure an appropriate SEN placement.(EDI3)
Treloar’s Leaders and Governors are committed and responsible for providing a curriculum which is broad and balanced and complies with statutory requirements. Together we uphold what is great about Britain and also to challenge what is bad. We reject intolerance and forms of radicalisation (of any kind: religious, nationalist, political, racial, and sexual). We embrace our responsibilities to one another and to the rules that govern the life of our society. We seek to engage with the world around us, and to shape it into an equal society for everyone.
Promotion of British values
- At Treloar’s, we are dedicated to promoting values which ensure that our students develop a strong sense of social and moral responsibility. We prepare our students for life in modern Britain by developing an understanding of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and acceptance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
- These values underpin the work we do and are promoted at various times throughout the academic year, extending beyond the classroom with a wide range of visits and enrichment experiences.