Swimming Pool Appeal
Creating a fully accessible swimming pool
The increasing complexity of our School and College students means that the number of students who can use our onsite pool for swimming and hydrotherapy is dramatically reducing as it is becoming increasingly difficult to get them in and out of it.
Our plan to renovate the pool would increase capacity by 60% through:
- Adding 5 new changing rooms with direct tracked hoists to the pool
- Reducing the depth of the pool at the deep end to allow more students to be supported in the water by their carer
- Improving ventilation to reduce fatigue; and
- Re-tiling the pool to help the visual needs of students
These changes would provide significant physiological and mental health benefits to our students. Ellie, PE Teacher at Treloar’s said;
Swimming is a fantastic opportunity for many of our wheelchair bound students to experience a physical freedom different from their day to day lives. Many students experience a level of independent movement that they cannot achieve outside of the water, and this in turn promotes their confidence and self-belief. Time spent in the water has a long lasting impact of the quality of our students lives.
Supporting the local community
The renovation will not only help Treloar’s students but also local families who use the swimming pool for lessons and disability charities who use our facilities during the holiday periods.
Latest 2021 figures from Swim England show that almost 2,000 swimming pools in England could close by 2030, a drop of almost 40%, as those built in the 1960’s and 70’s have not been refurbished at a sufficient rate. Without investment of £1bn, there will be a “huge decline” in the availability of pools and may mean that opportunities for disabled young people to swim could become even more limited in future.
We urgently need to update the pool at Treloar’s so it can remain open for as many people as possible.
We need to raise over £300,000 for this vital project. We would be delighted if you could support the appeal with a donation and help even more of our students with complex physical disabilities to gain the immense benefits from swimming and hydrotherapy.
Can you help?
- Make a donation online where you could consider a one-off or regular gift.
- Call the office on 01420 547 477 (between 9am-5pm Monday-Friday) and one of the fundraising team will be happy to take your donation over the telephone by debit or credit card.
- Send us a cheque as your gift (payable to Treloar’s), stating your name and address to Treloar Appeal, Fundraising Team, Powell Drive, Holybourne, Alton GU34 4GL.
- If you are able, you may increase the value of your gift by using the Gift Aid scheme. Please click here for further information and to download a declaration.
Should you require further information on the appeal please don’t hesitate to contact the Fundraising team on email@example.com or call 01420 547477.
Thank you for your support.