Work Experience placements – preparing our students for their next steps beyond Treloar’s
Visitors often ask us, ‘What happens next after Treloar’s?’ And this is an important part of our transition planning and preparation. As well as achieving qualifications, we want our students to gain the confidence and independence they need to move onto the next step in their lives, and completing work experience is key to achieving those next steps.
Amos started his weekly internal work experience with the Tech Hub Team in September and continued up to Christmas 2021. He enjoyed his work experience so much he asked to continue with this after the Christmas holidays. He works in the Tech Hub each week carrying out various tasks:
- Creating Jigsaw puzzles on the computer app Switchit for the themed activities in the Tech Hub, including research on the internet to find suitable images and then creating the jigsaw
- Finding and uploading images to the green screen iPad for sessions
- Creating bingo using Boardmaker to match topics
- ID badge printing
- Publishing posts on the Treloar’s intranet
- Printing pictures onto bags
Amos said “The people I worked with were friendly. They told me what to do. It was easy to get round the tech hub and use the equipment. I got to meet a lot of different people and talk to people I didn’t know”.
His College tutor reported back that over the six weeks placement she could see his confidence growing along with his reflective practice skills.
At Treloar’s we have a dedicated Work Experience coordinator who works hard to provide opportunities for our students to experience work placements either internally at Treloar’s or externally. The aim is to give students personalised experiences, knowledge, skills and planning tools which will enable them to make informed decisions and choices about future, paid or unpaid, employment. The aim is always to prepare them for when they leave School or College.
Supported throughout their time at Treloar’s by personal tutors, therapists and a dedicated Progress and Transition Team, students can expect to develop a comprehensive range of interpersonal, social, independence and employability skills.
Work Experience placements are invaluable for all the benefits they offer to our students.
- Gaining practical experiences in a manner which is suitable for their skills and ability.
- Improving their understanding of working in a real business or workplace
- Developing skills and experience for their Curriculum Vitae
- Gaining confidence in their own ability to seek work placements or volunteering options in the future.
Our students can often be found helping out in the Treloar’s Shop and Café, or assisting the Facilities team with campus speed checks or working at Treloarprint. Some of our work experience students have even gone on to apply for jobs and returned to Treloar’s as employees. Playing it forward, these employees then become inspiring role models for our current students.